Even though we’re currently embracing summer’s best denim trends, like DSTLD’s cutoff shorts, there is never a bad time to slip into your favorite pair. We rounded up some of our most ‘jeanious’ tips + activities– with a little help from some friends – that are sure to keep you fashionably entertained from season to season.
Whether you’re beach babe or city chick, follow our mini guide below to make the most of this versatile fabric. If you can’t choose what works best for you, we have your back. DSTLD lets you try before you buy so you feel aptly dressed for any outing.
1. Pack up some yummy treats in your favorite printed backpack and find a place to picnic. Even when it’s chilly, a blanket on the floor and some Fleetwood Mac make for a delicious daytime activity in your chillest skinnies.
2. Try on a daydream, like Trish Paik from The Influence
“I’m obsessed with denim, but in my fantasy world, I’m taking it off in Adam Levine’s bedroom.”
3. Associate Editor for Racked LA Danielle Directo-Meston suggests keeping it breezy.
“I’m more of a black jean baby; for summer, I wear my dark-washed denim with a loose tank to stay cool and comfortable in the heat.”
4. Style expert Jennifer Chan says to embrace the music.
“I especially love to celebrate summer in L.A. by attending fun outdoor concerts and movies with friends. As for my outfit, I rely on a sleek pair of jeans - I’m loving DSTLD’s black skinnies right now - with a cute tank and breezy sweater for an effortless look that’s flirty and functional for every occasion throughout the season.”
5. Plan a board game night with your besties in a flannel button-down, charcoal dyed denim, and Converses for a winning look, no matter what you score.
6. On the Way Out blogger and model Jenny Parry thinks you should show some love.
"Date night at the Orange County Fair pairing my denim with an off the shoulder crop top, some beat up converse and red lipstick. Hit up a few wild rides, eat something fried and have my man win me a stuffed animal!”
7. Cruise over to your local flea market in a pair of rolled shorts or destroyed jeans to find the perfect vintage tee pairing. Rain or shine, a swap meet makes for the perfect Sunday recreation.
8. Racked LA Editor-in-Chief Natalie Alcala recommends mixing it up.
"Denim cut-offs are never a faux pas in my book, even while pregnant! I like to pair them with a luxe silk top for a cool, high/low vibe that works no matter where I go.”
9. Act like a kid, seriously. Pick some flowers, play a game of kickball or grill some s'mores on the stove. What fun are jeans if you can’t get a little dirty?
10. Fashion blogger Marta Pozzan recommends denim dining.
“My new favorite spot for breakfast on Sunday morning is Zinque on Melrose and my go-to outfit is skinny jeans, a boyfriend shirt and my Birkenstocks. So chic and French like the pain au chocolate they serve there.”